Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Happy Birthday SgtDub!

Just a short blog to tell everyone that today (Jan. 31) is SgtDub's birthday!!!!! During our 15 years of marriage, SgtDub has managed to miss several of his birthdays due to military adventures. I don't know if he is doing this on purpose or what, but I'm starting to see a trend. He has managed (for the most part) to be around for my birthdays -- or at least make arrangements to torture me. He once took a real-estate sign, spray painted it and wrote Happy Birthday in giant reflective letters and stuck it in our front yard. He used this technique for several years until one day the sign disappeared. Whatever happened to that sign? As much as I hated turning another year older, I always laughed when I rounded the corner for home and saw that goofy sign. Last year, with the help of family, friends and co-workers, we managed to have the ultimate "surprise" party for SgtDub. SgtDub's little brother was in town visiting and we pretended that we were going to meet some other family members for dinner. I had one of my friends call me on my cell phone and say that something had come up at work, and I needed to run by and pick something up. The plan was that I would jump out and run inside to give everyone a head's up, while MissDub, Uncle Joey and SgtDub stayed in the car. Uncle Joey was supposed to then say he wanted to come inside to look around and then bring SgtDub to the conference room where everyone was hiding. It didn't happen this way, and they all piled out behind me, so I took off running and they were all saying "wait up". Goobers! Long story, short, MissDub, Uncle Joey and SgtDub wandered around for a few minutes before they came to the conference room door (all the lights were off). Uncle Joey opened the door and SgtDub saw just enough of shadows to know that he was about to walk into something he wasn't sure about. The lights came on and everyone yelled "surprise!" The look on SgtDub's face was priceless. He was so surprised that he had to be pushed inside the door. He soon realized what was going on and we had an awesome party. Papa Phil was the MC for the evening. We went around the room and everyone told stories about SgtDub adventures. His police buddies relayed the story of the time SgtDub almost got his head cut off by a clothes line while on bike patrol (I can talk more about that in another blog). Several people shared the story of the flooded truck (see previous blog), and I had the opportunity to talk about our life together. It was a wonderful evening and I know SgtDub was so happy. Anyway, SgtDub, I hope you know how much we love you and we miss you, and even though you can't be home on your birthday, we are there in your heart!

2 comments:

Dean aka Sgt Dub said...

I am very lucky to have you in my life. I miss you and love you. This was the first year I have missed your birthday, but I was only late by 5 days.

Sarge Charlie said...

You are lucky sarge, we had fun at your party