Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Saying Goodbye . . .

It's hard to believe that 2006 is already gone. It seems like just yesterday SgtDub was packing his bags and shipping out. SgtDub had to report for duty on March 1. MissDub and I were able to drive down with him and stayed with relatives. We attended a farewell ceremony on March 2nd and then drove home without him. This was probably one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. We were 3 hours from home and it was the longest drive of my life. MissDub and I both cried and listened to songs on the radio. The song playing when we pulled out of the parking lot was SheDaisy "Please Come Home Soon". Wow, the timing couldn't have been better. If you ever get the chance, listen to this song. It was written from a military spouse's standpoint. Our sadness turned to joy when he was allowed to come home for a short visit (May 24th to June 2nd). I was fortunate enough to be able to take leave from work and spend time with him before he departed for Afghanistan. We hung around the house and enjoyed every moment together. I found myself fighting sleep at night because I didn't want to let go of the day. I used to complain about his snoring, but now found myself enjoying the sound and feeling comfort knowing he was home. The time flew by and before I knew it, I had to let him go (again). While he had only been gone a few months, I had settled into my day-to-day routine (school, work, chores). Hours turned to days, days into weeks, and weeks into months. Don't get me wrong, I was so happy that he was coming home, even if it was only for a short time. I did pretty good until the day before he had to leave. I started feeling sad and dreading his departure. I know how hard it's going to be and that I will have to start hurting all over again. It's like pulling a scab off (sorry, that's gross, but that's what it's like). Although he had a plane ticket back to Mississippi, I convinced him to ride back with the other soldiers on a bus. This meant we would have to make the 3 hour drive to meet the bus, but we were willing to do it because it would mean we would have more time -- precious time. My parents accompanied us on this trip, so the drive back was not as bad. Once home, I wandered from room to room expecting to find him just around the corner. I went outside and looked some more. The first few nights are terrible. Turning off the lights and going to bed, and waking up, knowing you're alone. I am hoping that MissDub will blog about what this experience is like for her. She doesn't talk much about her feelings and she tries to hold it all inside. She has cried a few times, but quickly "sucks it up" and moves on. I guess I'm the emotional one in the family, because I cry at the drop of a hat. Well, I had again settled into my day-to-day routine when I received a big surprise from SgtDub . . . and you'll just have to wait until tomorrow to hear the rest of the story!

7 comments:

Lee Ann aka Dixie said...

Great post Mrs Dub... but to leave us hanging... shame, shame, shame... LOL

*taps fingers on desk waiting for, as Paul Harvey says, The rest of the story*

Sarge Charlie said...

If you do not know, I had a problem with my Blog today. I have opened a new blog. I have made a new post on the new site, a link is provided on old site.

Wade Huntsinger said...

ahhhh...the wife of a sarge! Unlike you guys I am actually the emotional one in the family. When I left back in the 80's I think I cried harder than my wife. Althought I dried up before any comrads saw me!!! Keep the Faith and be encouraged, you seem to have a hell of a man..and a funny one too.

Sarge Charlie said...

Mrs Dub......Let me wipe a tear, thank you so much for sharing your feelings, I never really appreciated what Miss Bee had to experience, she was always there with a big smile, now I know she was hiding her emotion.

The old sarge

Dean aka Sgt Dub said...

Bee and Charlie, I think we found the newest addition to the book tour, it'll just be a matter of time.

Miss Dub said...

Well, I am the armchair theripist for my friends, I have to know how to hold my emotion in. I hold it in so much that it's hard to let it ot when I do need to. Great blog mom.

~Miss Dub

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

you are quite the litte writer honey!

know what i used to do when he left? (charlie that is, not your hubby!) anyway, i would sleep with a pair of his dirty socks folded neatly under my pillow. still don't know why i did that but i always did. sigh... it was hard, I KNOW!!

keep writing.....bee