Friday, January 5, 2007

I hate surprises!

Since marrying SgtDub 15 years ago, he has managed to surprise me on more than one occasion. One such surprise occurred when SgtDub decided he wanted to buy a used truck at an auction. Money was tight (as always) and we had agreed upon an amount and he had strict instructions not to spend over the limit. Well, he apparently decided he was smarter than me, so he bid (and purchased) the truck for substantially more than we discussed - SURPRISE! Needless to say, SgtDub was soon parted from his truck (he was the one surprised). Another surprise came on Mother's Day 1993 when SgtDub was summoned to help a relative who's house was about to be flooded. He had been given specific instructions (do you see a pattern emerging here?) that he could not drive up to the house because of the high water. Well, SgtDub again decided he was smarter than everyone else and by gosh and by golly, he made it to the house and pulled in the driveway. Our relatives were standing on higher ground when he drove by and they said to themselves "what an idiot!" It was at that moment that they realized it was SgtDub. Well, before he could gloat on his accomplishment, the flood waters swept him and his truck down the creek - SURPRISE! Yet another surprise occurred prior to SgtDub's first deployment. We had planned a farewell party for SgtDub at a local restaurant, and all of our family and friends were there. Apparently, SgtDub thought it would be funny to have a surprise 40th birthday party for me. Only problem was that I had just turned 39!!! And now for the biggest surprise . . . Around my birthday this year, SgtDub had indicated that he was sending me a package. I rushed home everyday, only to be disappointed because I didn't have a package waiting for me. I asked if it was coming to the house or office, and he said "either". He then even said "your package should be arriving any day now". My birthday came and went and there was still no package. I was really getting bummed out at this point. I returned to work following a long holiday weekend and had gone out to lunch with my girlfriend. As we were returning to the office, she received a call saying that we really needed to hurry back. I wasn't sure what was going on, but didn't expect what happened next. I entered the office and the receptionist said "your package has arrived from Afghanistan" - my response was something like "well it's about time" and then I rounded the corner and noticed all of my co-workers starring at me, and that's when I saw him! There in person was SgtDub grinning from ear-to-ear. I don't remember what happened in those few minutes, but I do remember saying "what are you doing here?" and then ran and jumped in his arms - SURPRISE!!! Well Dub, I think you out did yourself on that one and it will be hard to ever top it. That my friends was one of the BEST days of my life and I still smile every time I walk into the office and think about him sitting there waiting for me.

6 comments:

Dean aka Sgt Dub said...

You forgot to mention that we made money on selling that truck, so it was a good thing, and me coming home was a good thing too, I enjoyed every minute we spent together during that 15 days.

Miss Dub said...

I did too. Even if I had to listen...more that is.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

well now that sure was a good one! wonderful surprise! made me cry too.....bee

Sarge Charlie said...

You make me tear up every day, I love your stories. Poor Sarge, honestly, it is just a guy thing.

Wade Huntsinger said...

WOW, what a story! If us fellows could just learn, but we probably won't.

Lee Ann aka Dixie said...

Excellent story. I love surprises like that....