Monday, January 15, 2007

"Oh What a Beautiful Morning!'

Although I don't think this is the kind of day they were referring to when they wrote the song, it's a beautiful morning to me! For the first time in 3 days, I woke up to see the sun shining in my window (yipee!) I've been keeping all of the blinds closed to keep the heat in, so today I got to run from room-to-room opening the blinds and letting the sunshine in. I don't know what it is about sunshine, but it makes me happy. Everything outside is covered in a thick white blanket. It's not ice, but it's not snow either. There are no footprints and it crunches when you walk on it. It's pretty to look at, but I'm ready to get out of the house. I thought I did okay on stocking up on groceries, but apparently not. Our meals quickly turned to as what MissDub once called "carbonated" foods (carbs). We've had packaged noodles, canned beans, potatoes, cornbread, garlic bread, cinnamon toast, crackers, cereal, cereal and more cereal. I did manage to buy some fruits and we've eaten that, but I didn't get any fresh vegetables, salad or even meat. MissDub is really picky about meat. She refuses to eat fish, chicken, pork and ground beef. However, she will eat Sonic burgers, chili and $20 filet mignon. She likes the way I make meatloaf, but won't eat Papa's. She did try sushi the other day (California Roll). I told her to just shove it in her mouth and not to try to chew it. She ate it and didn't spit it out. Not sure if she will ever want it again. SgtDub is weird about meat also. Hmmm, wonder where she got it from? SgtDub won't eat fatty meat, rare meat, shrimp or Cheesy Italian Turkey Hash (another story), but he will also eat a $20 filet mignon. He goes as far as to trim the fat off of bacon and ribs. It's quite comical when Papa and SgtDub are eating together. Papa makes a meal off what SgtDub cuts off. Now I know where bacon bits come from -- SgtDub sits there with his knife and cuts them up. If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm not much of a cook. I have all the tools and toys to cook, I just choose not to. When asked what I'm making for dinner, I say "reservations". I'm ready for the ice to melt, so I can get some "real food" -- RESTAURANT FOOD!!!

4 comments:

Dean aka Sgt Dub said...

And I haven't had a single comment here at Camp Phoenix about picking the fat off of bacon. Of course, here we call it "beef strips". Great blog. Yes, please tell us about the cheesy italian turkey hash story, please please.

The Sil said...

Sounds like the bro. He won't eat anything that has the potential to have bones in it and he likes all his meat burnt. He says that his mama made everything that way. Is that right sgt dub?

We are getting your ice storm now. It is supposed to continue through wednesday. This is south Texas! This isn't supposed to happen!

Wade Huntsinger said...

TC and i are exact opposite. I will only eat so close to the bone and she will completely wipe it out. She is a good cook as her Mom taught her and she was from Arkansas, up in those hills. The trouble now is that we can eat out for less than cooking now that it is just the two of us. Anyway I am blad you are getting the sunshine, a special gift of God to make you smile. Here in NC we just got past weather in the 70's and now I think the wind is from the West so it is dropping as I speak. Be Safe

Odat said...

Hey Mrs. Dub..Came to say hi..been reading sgt. dub's blog. Must be hard for you guys being separated and all...I hope that will change real soon.
I can't believe you guys are getting snow! I'm still waiting for some here in NY.
Peace