Monday, July 16, 2007

Little Black Box

The word around our house is not the "Little Black Box", but rather the "Big Black Boxes". Do you recall the story and photos posted at Dub's site referring to the footlockers he was "lovingly" shipping home to me? Well, they arrived one by one (5 total), plus a backpack and duffel bag. I had threatened to leave all the boxes on the front porch until he returned, and then he could unpack them himself. Only problem is that he still has bags from the first deployment that aren't unpacked. Yes, that's right, there are still boxes in the garage that contain this and that, and probably some food items that are growing mold. This weekend while Dub was at work, my "OCD" kicked into overdrive, and something had to be done to remove the boxes from my home. Although they're stacked in the guest bedroom and not in my way, the mere thought of these boxes lingering gnawed at my mind until I couldn't stand it any longer. I had to take action! I began unpacking each box, sorting out the contents and mumbling under my breath that "there are times I'd like to pinch his head off!" Dub doesn't pack (or unpack) like normal people. Remember his room? Well, he apparently waited until the last possible moment and then scrapped everything off into a box. When that box was full, he moved on to another and another and another. Whenever I pack, I like to put similar things together. I fold everything and stack it very neatly to make optimum use of the space. Heck, I even go so far as to put my socks and underwear in ziplock bags, so they'll stay together. Back to my unpacking story . . . I spent several hours unpacking each box and then repacked them with similar items -- all cammo outfits together, all socks, underwear, t-shirts and equipment in another and on and on. I guess he didn't want to leave anything behind, so he managed to bring home every scrap of paper and toothpick he used during the last 15 months, plus a big ugly bug! I'll bet he was really tired after that ride! I quickly removed him to the backyard, and he's probably thinking "where am I?" I asked Dub why he hadn't unpacked yet, and his comment to me was "so he'll be ready to leave again" -- BEEP! . . . WRONG ANSWER! I feel really bad picking on my wonderful husband like this, but hey, isn't that what blogs are for? When he does something good I tell him about it, but when he does something bad, I blog about it and share it with the whole world! Next topic will be the DVD collection! Okay Dub, now it's your turn to tell your side of the story.

P.S. thanks for helping me get up last night after I strained my back -- otherwise I'd still be laying there waiting for someone to help me up!

3 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

ahhh, life is really getting back to normal now! that's good honey. very good.

smiles, bee

Amazing Gracie said...

Transitions like this must not be easy at all! Two people with different styles and attitudes is never easy!
Bless you both!!!

Linda said...

Did he get the hint and unpack those boxes yet???