Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Alone Again . . .

Am I the only one who sees a pattern here that SgtDub leaves when it's "lawn mowing" season? Actually, he leaves at "snow shoveling" season too. SgtDub left on Saturday for a six month school in Arizona, where he will learn to speak Arabic. Apparently the National Guard has decided it needs to have more Citizen Soldiers who are fluent in the language. When SgtDub approached me about attending the school, I was somewhat interested in what he had to say. He's learned over the years that when presenting a proposal to me, he needs to have all the facts and must be able to "show me the money!", or at least how this will benefit me. I know that sounds selfish, but it's just the way things work at our house. SgtDub's tactic this time was to present me with the "worst case scenario" (possible deployment), followed by "second worst case scenario" (15 month school in California). So, by the time he got to the last option, it didn't seem so bad afterall. Besides, what's six months when we've been apart for 2 years! I believe he had been studying up on what to say and how to say it, because he got me to agree to letting him go. I've learned from past experience that nothing is ever what he says it will be. According to his calculations, he will make "x" amount of money per month, he will receive housing allowance, separation pay, etc., etc. Translation (in English), we'll end up paying the military for him to pursue this adventure. He says it will all be worth it when he gets done and the military pays him more money for speaking Arabic . . . yeah, when you're in a foreign country and they're using you as a translator, I'm sure the pay will be good! I hope the first words he learns are "yes dear" and "the check is in the bank". All kidding aside, we're very proud of SgtDub and the work he does. He sacrafices so much to be a soldier, and he's really good at it. I think he should be the "poster boy" for the National Guard because he truly is being "All That He Can Be!" We love you and we miss you . . . counting the days til you're home again!

3 comments:

Sarge Charlie said...

I was stationed at Ft Huachuca on 1963-66 I met Miss Bee there, You must get down for a visit, Tombstone is about 20 Miles form Sierra Vista.

Wade Huntsinger said...

Glad to have you back blogging. I miss seeing you guys. I am glad that there are folks like Dub that will do the job and folks like you who will also make the sacrifice. If you guys ever come this way let us know, we owe you some ice cream.

Dean aka Sgt Dub said...

Ok, you brought tears to my eyes. I miss both of you and have learned how to say "show me" in Arabic, still looking for the money. Since in Middle East culture, I have discovered there isn't an Arabic term for 'yes dear' when speaking to a woman, just 'yes master' to a man. Oops, did that really get typed. I'll make sure it gets added to the list of high frequency words I'll need to learn