Thursday, March 29, 2007

Taking Shoes From A Stranger

I had an exciting shopping experience yesterday, and SgtDub suggested that I blog about it. I was running errands during my lunch hour, when I decided to stop by a thrift store. It's a small store hidden at the back of a big warehouse. My friend Joyce and I had found it a month or so ago and I purchased a great pair of dress shoes for $6.00. The shoes are all marked $12.00, but they were having a sale. Anyway, I went into the store yesterday, and I was the only shopper in there. There was a young guy working the cash register (not the brightest bulb in the fixture). I found 2 shoes that I liked and wanted to find the mates. I asked his recommendation on finding the mate, and he said "there's only 1 shoe" - well, that would explain the 50% off! In the meantime, the young boy took a break, and an older gentlemen came in. By this time, I was still digging through shoe boxes and trying to find matches. I had found a pair of OSU orange (Oklahoma State University) Ralph Lauren pumps (brand new!!). Not that I was looking for, or need a pair of orange pumps, but I can always wear them on Bedlam Day. The guy asked me if I liked shoes and what size did I wear. He then said he had a bunch of shoes in the back room if I would like to take a look. Okay, this is where I lost all sense of brain function and said "yes I would". I proceeded to follow him into the back room with the promise of finding a great deal. He said "we don't normally let anyone back here, but I'll let you". Looking back now, that probably wasn't the smartest move. For a brief moment, I thought to myself "this guy could be a total pervert and he's luring me into a closet", and I'm following him! Just like a kid would follow a total stranger for a piece of candy. Well, I'm happy to report that he was not a pervert, and he did in fact have a store room full of shoes! Good shoes -- Ralph Lauren, Talbots, Unisa, and many, many more. Most of the shoes are sample pairs and the sizes vary. I just had to dig through the shelves. I was basically in shoe heaven. Knowing all the shoes would be $6.00, I grabbed as many as I could before I gave up. I bought 7 pairs of shoes for $43.00!!! I was so excited and rushed back to work to share my bargains with my co-workers. I was a little afraid they would be the same size as me and want to steal my secret. Luckily, they're all different sizes, so there's no need to worry. We plan to return today and hopefully the guy will let us shop in the "secret" room!!!!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Aaaaah... *sigh* shoes!!! My mind went blank in a splitsecond when I read the word "shoes" at SGT DUB´s blog =)

Love your story, Mrs Dub. I was worried when I read the part where he invited you to go into the "secret showroom"... reminded me of Haensel and Gretel", a German fairy tale: A bad hag steals children by offering gingerbread in order to eat the kids. Well, I´m shoe-addicted enough to have the gingerbread ;) - but I thougt "Sanni... she´s fine - I´m sure... she´s posting this" *LOL*

And: Oh, you are fine! 7 pair of beautiful shoes for $43! WOW! Congrats! =)

Sandee said...

Sgt. Dub sent me over for the shoe story. This is good and at one point I thought "as your are going to the back room" that you boxed this guy across the room for being bad. Glad you didn't have to do that. Great deal on shoes. Congratulations, these kinds of deals a few and far between. Bless you and your husband.

Desert Songbird said...

Your hubby sent me over here; I think he knew that I (like Sanni) would be hooked by the word "shoe." I'm so envious of your find - seven pairs for $43?!? Wow!!!

Linda said...

Came over from the Sgt's page and after seeing the picture that he posted, that was all I could picture as you were talking about going into the back room with the older gentleman! Well, that and I had this image of Benny Hill for some unknown reason!

Sounds like you found more than a great bargain - have fun with your friends when you go back again!

Amazing Gracie said...

I saw Benny Hill, too!!! How funny!
Shoes - I think we all have a little Imelda in us. I told Sanni that after I busted up my knee I had to give all my pretty shoes to my daughter and I now have to wear "sensible" shoes and I hate it! I love girlie-girl shoes! Especially when they're $7 a pair!
Congrats!

Callie Ann said...

wow, yep that was probably a little scary for you. But, I am glad it turned out good and you got some shoes out of the deal. Be careful

chtrbx said...

great shoe shopping story! too bad you couldn't find a pair of boots for sgtdub in that secret room!

just me said...

Wow! My record was only buying 3 pairs of shoes at one time! I could go show crazy if it were priced at 7 a pair