Tuesday, March 20, 2007

HELP! . . . SgtDub Needs New Boots!

SgtDub just informed me that he spent $111.00 today to purchase a new pair of boots. I asked why the Army wouldn't provide him with another pair if he needed it, and he said they only issue them one (1) pair for every six (6) months they are deployed and/or one (1) pair for every two (2) years of service. So, in other words, if he wears his boots out before his six (6) months are up, then he is S.O.L. and has to buy them himself. Is it just me, or does anyone else think this is wrong? I would think that if the boots are worn and need to be replaced, that he should be able to go to the supply and say "hey my boots are worn out and I need to get another pair" and they would say "okay, no problem, you're serving your country and fighting in a war zone, I think we can get you another pair of boots" - they could even offer to give him a new brown bath towel and wash cloth. Just another example of our tax dollars at work (not!). I think our soldiers deserve the very best, and they should NOT have to purchase their own equipment or clothing!!!!!!!

9 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

honey doesn't he get a clothing allowance like sarge used to? we used to get an amount every month in his pay to replace worn and tattered clothing. don't they still do this? bee

MrsDub said...

Nope, no clothing allowance. I understand the need to account for equipment and supplies, but if they can show a need (i.e., it's worn out), then they should take care of it.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

http://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay/clothing-allowances

honey go to that link and if you aren't getting this money you are entitled to it. it is all explained there. hope this has helped you.

smiles, bee

Anonymous said...

This is the problem I have with our Government. There should be NOTHING these men and women WANT or NEED that they cannot get. It angers me to think the lay their lives on the line EVERY day and cannot get the things that are necessary to do their job comfortably. I am sure you will be relieved and very happy to have him back stateside ASAP.

As for a clothing allowance....even IF he got one and needed something over and above that it should be readily provided. This just really irritates me to think about.

Dean aka Sgt Dub said...

I don't recall seeing anything about clothing allowance on my Army pay stub, but if there was, then I would be buying the boots anyway, right? Besides the Army now has over 10 different manufacturers for boots and some of them just plain kill your feet. The pair I bought are exactly the same pair they issued me at Camp Shelby and my feet loved them. My problem is I have always worn out footgear rather quickly because I walk on the outside of the boots wearing them down unevenly.

MrsDub said...

Now look Dub, I don't try to rain on your parade when you're on top of your soap box! Just kidding, thanks for the info Bee, we will check it out. Money's not the problem here, I'd pay any amount of money to get him what he needs and wants, but I agree with Dari that the military should be willing and eager to see that our soldiers are provided what they need (within reason).

Wade Huntsinger said...

I agree, they should get anything they need, however we can know that the reason they cannot is because; Number one,it's the army and number 2 because someone has proabably tried to get another set of boots in order to sell or trade. You would think that if they saw the boots it would make a difference. Oh well, I am glad money is not the issue, cause if it was I think we could take care of the new boots. You know those of us eho read yours and AGT blog daily would do anything you guys needed. just let us know, Loving all of you in Christ, Stay Safe

The Gamin said...

This irritates me, also. The soldiers should get what they need and I feel footwear should be on top of the list. Good boots are a must for a soldier. This, like so many other things, just does not make sense.

MrsFierceShoes said...

MrsDub:
I agree with your soap box stance. It's just not plain fair and it's not a matter of money. Like I said in my blog, I don't expect my job to provide me with shoes, but then again, my job didn't pick me up and send me halfway around the world either...sigh.