Thursday, December 13, 2007

Ice Storm 2007 . . . Here we go again

Just a short note to let everyone know that we're okay. For anyone watching the national news, you've probably seen the coverage of the ice storms that blasted Oklahoma. The weatherman did a good job of warning us of the impending storm and we were able to buy groceries and were prepared to be "snowed in" for a day or two. What we were not prepared for was the devastation from the downed electrical lines. We lost power at 3pm on Sunday and have been without since. It wouldn't be so bad, but we are on a water well and it is powered by electricity. We made it through Sunday and Monday before a neighbor loaned us a generator and we were able to get some juice. SgtDub and MissDub opted for the TV/DVD player and the heater, while I preferred the refrigerator and water. Someone's got their priorities wrong. Since we weren't able to get the water well going, I went with their plan and we watched a movie until bedtime. Sleeping isn't too bad, it's getting up and out of the bed in the morning that's hard to do. We purchased a new generator yesterday and have managed to accumulate lots of supplies. As there are over 600,000 people without power in the State, everyone is scrambling to find supplies. We went to several different stores to find Duraflame logs, batteries and other essential goodies. It's almost like a scavenger hunt. Everytime I would find something on my list, I would call SgtDub and let him know I found something. We ended up cleaning out the refrigerator and took everything to my parents house - I'm hoping my mom will cook the turkey! I brought the Lean Cuisines to work and passed them out to my co-workers. We are hoping to have the generator figured out tonight and get the water well going. Having water will make things alot easier. I'm not complaining about our situation, because I know it could be alot worse, and there are lots of people who are worse off than us. We're fortunate that we have a roof over our heads and have warm clothes to wear. A situation like this forces us to stop and realize everything we take for granted. This time last year, our family was apart and now we're together. We will get through this and hopefully we will be better prepared for the next storm . . . in whatever form it comes. Hope everyone is safe, warm and ready for the holidays. I will do my best to keep you posted.

P.S. We made it one week in August without the air conditioner, so I think we can make it now without heat & water.

3 comments:

Sarge Charlie said...

You folks be careful, have no fear, al gore said it is warming, it will melt.

Wade Huntsinger said...

Too funny, on the day after the storm I think we were coming through and i called DUB. While we were talking he said I gotta go the generator just stop running. HaHa, I think. I know he got it running. Timing is everything.

Sarge Charlie said...

I would like to wish you and yours a very merry Christmas and a wonderful new year.

The Old Sarge