Thursday, May 10, 2007

Count Down To Homecoming


We're starting to countdown to SgtDub's homecoming. As of today, SgtDub is scheduled to attend a 2 week school as soon as he arrives in the U.S. Hey, what's another 2 weeks when you've been gone 15 months! This changes daily, so I've learned to roll with the flow and not to expect anything. By going to the school, we will miss out on the official "Welcome Home Ceremony". This picture was taken during SgtDub's Welcome Home Ceremony in 2003. This was an awesome day. I vividly remember the moment my phone rang and it was Dub saying that he had just landed and was back on U.S. soil. I screamed and was so excited knowing he made it back safe. I got my first glimps of SgtDub when he marched into the church with the other soldiers. It's really hard to pick out your soldier when they're all wearing the same uniform and hats. The audience went crazy and I immediately started crying. SgtDub was seated several rows ahead of us, but we weren't allowed to go to each other until the ceremony was over. Talk about anticipation! I don't remember the ceremony, only that it seemed like an eternity. At the conclusion of the ceremony, the soldiers stood at attention and were dismissed, and with that everyone in the audience ran to find their loved one. SgtDub turned around and took several steps and MissDub and I ran to jump into his arms. This was one of the best days of my life! During SgtDub's last deployment, I served as an officer on the Family Readiness Group "FRG". The FRG is designed to be a support group for the spouses and family members of the deployed soldiers. Prior to deployment, we had a meeting and elected officers. I decided to volunteer, since I felt like I would have a lot of time on my hands and I thought "what better way to know what's going on", and I was right. As an officer on the FRG, I helped organize activities for the families, holiday parties and meetings. I made many good friends during the deployment, and it was wonderful having people around me who were going through the same thing I was. I haven't been involved in the FRG during this deployment, partly because the majority of the unit is located in another part of the state. I feel like the FRG plays an important roll in the deployment, and can be a very valuable tool. They offer assistance, resources and support. My previous involvement in the FRG has helped me better deal with this deployment and understanding how the military works. I have learned that the military can be your "best friend" or "worst enemy". Once you decide to embrace it and understand it, you will be amazed at all it has to offer. I hope anyone reading this post, who is facing a deployment, will contact their FRG and get connected. Don't allow yourself to be isolated and alone. You need the support and encouragement that the FRG offers. Deployments are hard on everyone, but you don't have to go it alone. You can survive a deployment. You can use the opportunity to become more independent, and you can learn to appreciate your blessings. Absence does make the heart grow fonder! I miss you SgtDub, I love you, and I'm ready to have you back in my arms! Be safe and have a great day!

7 comments:

Dean aka Sgt Dub said...

beautiful post honey, I'm ready to be home with you too. I love you.

The Gamin said...

Homecoming is around the corner for you guys! I'm happy for all the Dubs. God bless!

MrsDub said...

Just got this, so I thought I would share - official Proclamation from THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary ­
For Immediate Release May 10, 2007

Military Spouse Day, 2007

By the President of the United States of America
A Proclamation
America's military spouses inspire our Nation with their sense of duty and deep devotion to our country. On Military Spouse Day, we honor the husbands and wives of those who wear the uniform of the Armed Forces of the United States.

The husbands and wives of our service members have made significant sacrifices for freedom's cause, and they are an integral part of the success of our Armed Forces. Spouses may endure long periods of separation and frequent relocations, and they often set aside their own personal and professional ambitions for the benefit of their family and the Nation. Despite tremendous personal challenges, military spouses maintain everyday life for their families here at home, while sending love, prayers, encouraging words, and care packages to their loved ones stationed around the globe.

On behalf of a grateful Nation, we salute our Nation's military spouses. For ways to support our troops, their spouses, and their families, visit americasupportsyou.mil.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim May 11, 2007, as Military Spouse Day. I call upon the people of the United States to observe this day with appropriate ceremonies and activities and by expressing their gratitude to the husbands and wives of those serving in the United States Armed Forces.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this ninth day of May, in the year of our Lord two thousand seven, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-first.
GEORGE W. BUSH

Sandee said...

How wonderful and Happy Military Spouse Day. I did a little tribute and shout-out for you over at my place. Bless you and Miss Dub.

MrsFierceShoes said...

This was a wonderful post and I enjoyed it very much. I'm so happy for you that your husband will be home soon!

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

happy mother's day mrs. dub! whenever sarge came home it was different back then, he just came home. not as a group with a ceremony or anything, just got off a plane himself. it's better now i think! makes it special for the soldiers too! won't be long now, all the best to you!!!

smiles, bee

Sandee said...

Happy Mother's Day Mrs. Dub :)